Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The lost love

Where did that love go? That passion, that urge, that need that I could barely live without? I am talking about my love to the game of basketball...I fell in love with this game quite late, that is to say I started playing this game much later that other boys, at the age of 14 when I was in my first grade in high school...I remember that day so clearly...the day that I tried it and loved it so much...I remember every fine detail. During about 16 years of playing this game, I have had a lot of ups and downs in my game...many injuries and many glories...many memorable and unexplainable moments and of course many fights and many lows.

About 2 years ago, my chronic ankle injury got worse as I sprained my ankle several times in a row, mostly on stupid occasions and that caused me to stop playing for a while. There was also a really strange injury that happened to a close friend of mine which made me committed to not playing for a while. I thought if I just chill and rest it for a while it gets better. Well, it didn’t and I started with some regular rehab training every now and then which obviously didn’t help much neither. I went as far as doing an operation on my foot but I backed off (read chickened off!) in the last second. Now it has gone about 2.5 years and the thing that amazes me the most is that in this period, I have not been missing the game at all and the love is completely gone! I remember that in of my worst moments life, my only concern was will I be able to play this game again and now, I have gone cold turkey without even being bothered at all!

How?

I have been trying to figure out why and I think I’ve got some explanations at the moment; please feel free to let me know if YOU can be of any help in this matter:

1. I have replaced that with baseball (well not exactly...anyway), but you see, I am quite novice in this game and I can not perform as well as I want to so that doesn’t quench my thirst as much as I want it to. In other words it is not really a replacement plus the fact that unfortunately, I received an immense injury in baseball in my early days which had a destructive effect on me

2. My subconscious has accepted this damn injury and has accepted that I can not perform as well as before; therefore it doesn’t push much on my ego

3. Maybe I am somehow fed up with this and I feel that I have accomplished whatever there was to accomplish (yeah right!) and now it is just over...and I have an incurable injury as well

4. Environment: this is one the most probable reasons as I live in a neutral environment now when it comes to basketball. Back then, everyone and everything was into basketball or had something to do with it and we all enjoyed it to death. It is different now...very different

Having said all these, I still believe that these can not be true; I am always in a constant sense of denial because “Il n’existe jamais rien!” In addition to that, I strongly believe that a true love never dies...NEVER!

The search for an answer continues, I am going to give this lost love a try tonight and we’ll see how things go...

1 comment:

Amir H. Fassihi said...

"cold silence will .... atrophy any ... sense of compassion .. between supposed lovers... between supposed brothers...."

Don't forget the power of cold silence... silence in interacting with the love ... with the brother ... it will atrophy anything ... even the holy Basketball....