Sunday, September 28, 2008

Full Metal Jacket


Years ago, I was reading my favorite movie magazine and I came across an article about this movie. That magazine had a fine print and a lot of text, there was only this picture from the film.
I read the article completely and it got into my skin so deeply. I was so touched by the movie that I read (better to say "ate up") that article several times and, needless to say, watched the movie many many times!

Now, I will not try to analyze that movie here as I know there are billions of better critiques out there about this masterpiece so I save my breath. One thing though, if you have not seen this film yet, go and see it! If you have already seen it, well here's a few fine quotes from that movie which not only refreshes your memory but it will make you think again...the same way the film makes me ponder every time I watch it.

Enjoy!

***********
(From movie poster): In Vietnam, the wind doesn't blow, it sucks.
***********
Private Joker: The dead only know one thing: it is better to be alive.
***********
Crazy Earl: These are great days we're living bros. We are jolly green giants, walking the Earth with guns. These people we wasted here today are the fines human beings we will ever know. After we rotate back to the world, we're gonna miss not having anyone around that's worth shooting.
***********
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?
Private Cowboy: Sir, 5-foot-9, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: 5-foot-9?, I didn't know they stacked s--t that high.
***********
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: The deadliest weapon in the world is a marine and his rifle. It is your killer instinct which must be harnessed if you expect to survive in combat. Your rifle is only a tool. It is a hard heart that kills. If you killer instincts are not clean and strong, you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead marines and then you will be in a world of s--t because marines are not allowed die without permission. Do you maggots understand?
***********
Private Cowboy: You know there's not a single horse in the entire country of Vietnam? There's definitely something wrong with that.
***********
Pogue Colonel: Son, all I've ever asked of my marines is that they obey my orders as they would the word of God. We are here to help the Vietnamese, because inside every gook there is an American trying to get out. It's hardball world, son. We've gotta keep our heads until this peace craze blows over.
Private Joker: Aye-aye, sir.
***********
Private Joker: I wanted to see exotic Vietnam...the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture...and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!
***********
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Holy dog s--t, Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck d---s?

No comments: