Thursday, April 8, 2010

Differences of baseball and basketball

The baseball season has started, that is the majors and so on. I kicked off my practice last Tuesday which was surprisingly good in the first part despite the fact that we threw in a sandy parking lot. I ended up inevitably with cramps in almost everywhere but it was OK. All in all, it sure feels good to pick up your glove (which I should 'maintain' with lotion) and play some catch. The bad thing is, due to laziness and bad winter, my throwing skills have not evolved much since last and 'the same issues' remain. Anyway, I thought it would be good occasion to write this post down, which was standing in line for long.

When I first started playing baseball, I was inevitably comparing this new sport with basketball which I had played in many years. The differences, as opposed to what I had written a while ago, while being quite obvious e.g. the game tempo to say the least, are significant. For instance, in baseball, you have different gear for different positions. You have catcher's gear i.e. face mask/helmet, mitt (catcher's gloves), knee and leg guards, chest protector to start with. Then you have different gloves: 1st baseman glove, infielder's glove, pitcher's glove, outfielder's glove and batting gloves. Although one might claim that there are very little or no differences between pitcher and infielder (2nd, SS and 3rd)'s glove, I am sure that there are plenty out there who would argue that. In basketball, there are not much of gears for players. I mean except for shoes - that might differ from position to position, something which I personally don't buy - there are only wrist or headbands which any player can use if they wish to, but it's not necessary. In baseball, you may also need additional gear to be able to perform better or maintain your equipments, things like gloves lotions, tar for batting, glove mate (to protect you palms), sunglasses, cups and batting helmets (very important protection gear), sliding shorts and etc. In basketball, gears of such nature, if existing, don't have much of a significance.

Some other differences in terminology:

Baseball: uniforms, Basketball: jersey and shorts
Baseball: cleat, Basketball: sneakers
Baseball: umpire, Basketball: referees
Baseball: dugout, Basketball: bench
Baseball: manager, Basketball: head coach
Baseball: field, Basketball: court

This is what I have off the top of my head for the time being. I probably had more differences in mind when I first thought of this but it's gone now, maybe I come back to it later, we'll see...

2 comments:

Amir H. Fassihi said...

No whistles in Baseball.
No time limits.

adoosh said...

True!

I came up with a few more during the past days:

1. The manager dresses as the players and has a number on his back, this is probably unique for baseball.

2. You can be constantly eating during a game,or have a almost full meal between double headers in baseball. After basketball, I could only start eating at least 3-4 hours after the game or practice.

3. In baseball, you have many - and I mean 'MANY' - expressions and technical terms for different things. In my opinion, baseball glossary is way bigger than basketball.