Monday, April 19, 2010

A massive loss

When I was a kid, I used to collect stamps like many kids in that age. My father used to visit a stamp shop on his way from work and buy me the latest stamps as well as a few 'old' stamps occasionally. I vaguely remember some of those stamps commemorating certain occasions and being very colorful and beautifully and artistically drawn. As an organized kid that I was, I used to write the purchase price of those stamps - which were very little compared to today's costs - on small notes as I arranged them in the albums very carefully using tweezers. I guess I was hoping to sell those stamps to a hefty price later and make fortune out of it! I remember keeping those albums among my books in the library but the collection didn't grow that big as my father stopped the supply since he and I somehow lost interest in the years. I believe I had at least two albums which I kept in my library, one had a thick orange cover and the other which was smaller with a green cover. During a period of time, before or maybe after I moved out, I forgot about my little yet extremely valuable stamp collection. My negligence resulted in my dear collection being 'unattended' and needless to say, being lost in some mysterious process. Rumor has it that someone 'gave' it to somebody...just like that! Reminding myself about this loss makes my blood and tears boil up and it burns in the deepest corners of my body and soul. I can not possibly describe how much heartache it has caused as I look back, so I save my breath. Unfortunately, I have to admit that it is gone now and dropping tears of regret in the size of oceans can not repair the damage done by such a massive loss.

Sigh...deepest sigh!

No comments: