Thursday, May 12, 2011

Huckleberry

Our coach for this season is a retired sherif from Chicago area called Tom "Huckleberry" Nolan, the author of the book titled "Chasing dreams - I". He is one helluv a character and at times, he does remind me of our dear friend, Chewie. We've had such interesting discussions that I was (and still am!) very much tempted to record our exchanges, sometimes of pure philosophical nature, to get myself good material for this blog for some time to come. We've had a couple of high tempo practices which were exactly of my taste: non-stop hard work and sweat. How much our little team with so limited assets will accomplish under his leadership is yet to be seen since making some soup out of this mix of uneven (read oil and water) chemistry and being short-handed almost at all times is a very tough challenge.

I am reading his book on the way to and from work and I can say that the baseball content of the book is very rich to say the least. Anyhow, I am more than happy to experience a real (probably my first ever) baseball coach and I will try to squeeze as much as I can out of him which given his "Hilly Billy Huckleberry" character is not an easy job. According to his book, "baseball is designed to have fun" and that (among some other minor things) is my main goal for this season.

No comments: