Monday, April 23, 2012

Lover is I

Lover is I, the cave is I
The sweet burn of love is I
Beloved ist Thou, the cave ist Thou
O Lord, may Thou holdst (protect) me
Noah [Savior] ist Thou, [the essence of] Soul ist Thou
[Secret] Opener ist Thou, Opened [secret] ist Thou
Awakened heart ist Thou
[Lost] At the gate of secrets is I
Light ist Thou, Feast ist Thou
The victorious ist Thou
The bird of Mount Sinai ist Thou
Fatigued on [Thy] beak is I
Drop ist Thou, Ocean ist Thou
Compassion ist Thou, Wrath ist Thou
Sweetness ist Thou, Bitterness ist Thou
May Thou not torment me no more
Chamber of the Sun ist Thou
The house of Venus ist Thou
The cry of hope ist Thou
O may Thou show me the path 
The day ist Thou, The fasting ist Thou
All that beggars crave ist Thou
The water ist Thou, The urn ist Thou
Quench my thirst [O Lord]
Bait ist Thou, Trap ist Thou
Wine ist Thou, Grail ist Thou
Ripe ist Thou, Rough ist Thou
May Thou shall not leave me rough [adolescent]
Should this body hold a heart less in love
Thou may still [make] the path [for it]
[Despite] all [worthless] words of mine 

1 comment:

adoosh said...

A very modest and short-sighted attempt to translate one of the most complicated ghazals of His Highness Rumi commonly known as "Yar Mara".