Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A side note to Lida

1. We started to work with our bikes to adjust a few things prior to heading down there, check the tire pressure and etc. I asked my friend if he could adjust my back derailleur slightly as I had felt that it didn't shift properly between some gears. He started to change a few settings and things got worse. One hour later, we couldn't find our initial position neither and got frustrated. he went home to pack his stuff as we were about to leave in one hour and I headed to a local bike store/shop (which by the way is a official retailer of Trek) to see if I could get that fixed. They said that we don't have any mechanic working on Saturdays and I thought: "Gee, that must be a highly paid job that you don't need to work any extra on weekends, a bike mechanic!" Then they said, we provide service for the bikes that we have sold here in the first hand which I thought was pure bull s%#t, because if they are for Trek, then they should provide service for all Trek products regardless of where they have been bought from. Anyway, I left that place empty handed and disappointed but I thought I will manage my ride with those gears, no real biggie. Fortunately, I managed to take care of that plus other things when we got there to pick up our numbers at a tent that one of the sponsors had set up...free of charge of course! And they were very nice and friendly as well!

2. On the drive to there, one of the bikes on the rack in the back of the car got loose in the middle of highway. Fortunately it didn't fall off but we had to stop to fix this while all the cars were passing by us at a minimum 110 Km/hr speed. This happened twice (!) and got us delayed for picking up our numbers so we had to drive like crazy in order to get there. In the end, we made it at the by a minute in time. 

3. Before leaving home, I had put all the stuff that I needed to take with me by the door. I took everything with me except my helmet and I realized it when I was 200 Km away from home...on a late Saturday evening with little possibility to buy a new one. Fortunately, I managed to borrow my friend's which fitted me quite tightly but it worked. For the record, it is prohibited to participate in the race without authorized helmet.

4. The day after the race, I was on my way on a short drive to buy ice cream for my daughter. I left my wallet on the roof of the car and drove away with it! I realized it immediately but it was nowhere to be found. I started to block all my credit cards and everything and as soon as I was done with it, someone called me and said that they have found my wallet...come on man!

No comments: