Thursday, March 4, 2010

A new hobby

Right after having a lazy Christmas break which was marked with gluttony and sloth, I yearned - yes, that's right, yearned! - for certain circumstances like heavy mountain climbing in bad weather for a couple of days that would leave me dead tired so that I would have a very nice and smooth recovery afterwards. Obviously, it came from excessively practicing those two deadly sins during the break and a book that I was reading at that time. My friend finally talked me into try skiing, and after resisting all the calls in the past 9 years, I gave it a shot and after first 3 sessions, I was not attracted to it at all.

Well, here I am now: I have skied at least once a week in the past 2 months, sometimes in some demanding conditions i.e. -19 degrees, heavy winds, power snow, fog, darkness etc. I have even bought all the necessary gears, and I am having a blast! I can't believe myself changing mind so quickly and keep on pushing despite all the minor and major incidents that have happened from time to time.

Some final remarks:

1. Right now, I do feel like that there is some time lost and I should have started earlier but hey, better late than never, huh?

2. I guess one should make the best of the conditions. Given the climate that I live in, better to make something out of it rather than being depressed by it. I am now falling from the other edge; I don't want the winter season to end!

3. Understatement: Skiing is much easier than Baseball!

4. My friend, P, told me, " Skiing is one of the few pleasures that you can do, with your clothes on!"

5. Strange thing that I was not a bit inspired by Winter Olympics at all. However, when it comes to weather and the amount of downpour, this was possibly the best timing to start this thing.

2 comments:

not-nietsche said...

very very interesting. it's for me the ultimate pleasure. as free as i can be, when i hit the back country. i read your post quite few times.
good job mate. and i will steal that quote from your friend who says skiing is one of the few pleasures that one can have with clothe on!
keep on doin it.

adoosh said...

Thanks buddy!

FYI, that comment was courtesy of none other than a former captain of our university basketball team...you know well ;-)