Monday, April 18, 2011

Masters of improvisation

Hossein Alizadeh Tar
Kayhan Kalhor Kamanche
Madjid Khaladj Daf/Tonbak


I saw these masters last year and at one point during the concert, I inevitably cried.

It was one fantastic spiritual journey.

I had seen Kalhor once before with Shujaat Husain Khan (sitar) and Swapan Chaudhuri (tabla) which formed Ghazal group and I enjoyed it a lot. Here's the thing: once you have seen Kalhor's playing, you can barely listen to others play kamanche, the bar is set so high that it is impossible to top. That performance had obviously more theme of Indian in it but this one, with the combination of Alizadeh and Khaladj was something else. It not only touched my heart but also made me proud, it seldom happens that you feel this way during a musical performance.

It was indeed something else.

No comments: