Friday, August 14, 2009

Things that I genuinely dislike about USA

I am not sure if I will cover everything but here's the list anyway:
(Please note that the numbering does not represent the importance of the point)

1. The way that US (mostly as a government with all its elements) have treated me throughout all these years. This is by far the number one cause of my disgust. From my attempts to come to US to continue my studies to all the later visits for vacation or conference it has always been too much of a hassle. All those troubles and unnecessary stress and s--t and above all, the obvious and inhuman discrimination that I have gone through simply due to my country, leaves me with a true bad taste in the mouth despite all the fun and great times that I have had travelling through the country.

2. Tipping: I simply don't understand this thing because we are not basically used to this culture at all. I still see no point paying extra to a taxi driver who just lifts my bags and puts them in the trunk and unload them, something that I can easily take care of! Or what kind of extraordinary service do I get at a bar that I am obliged to tip the bartender. I ask for a drink and he pours it into a glass and gives it to me, why should I pay extra for that? It's just stupid! Most of the tips that I have paid in this trip, I paid with certain resentment. I hate it when I do things against my will. Yeah well, moving on...

3. Sale taxes are not indicated in the price, I think that's just misinformation and sort of hypocrisy to the buyers.

4. Too much of capitalism and the consequent social injustice: it's all about the money. If you have it, you gonna have it good. If not, you'd better die (literally!) because you ain't gonna have it, it's gonna be rough buddy. The capitalism has led to gigantic corporatism, massive difference between the rich and the poor, countless homeless, jobless, not insured people etc. I really don't think I need to elaborate more on that.

5. I think there is more in life than just working. I mean work is important and essential for every living human being but this sort of particular dependence to work (read slavery) is kind of inhuman. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!"

6. The flip-flops: I think they (perhaps the people who wear them in public) seriously lack a sense of style. They are untidy, messy, ugly, noisy and totally inappropriate for the street or public wear. They may hardly be used at the beach although I wouldn't do that neither because I personally find them extremely uncomfortable. I'd walk bare foot rather having those. Come on guys, have some dignity and show some self respect!

That's it for now...more to come, maybe later.

No comments: